Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Chris Benoit (1967 - 2007)


I enjoy watching WWE. I enjoy the fakeness and the fact that it is entertainment and everything about it is contrived and scripted. It's like watching my favorite local teleserye. Add those to the fact that I enjoy a bit of TV violence every now and then and you have the perfect formula for a big WWE fan. I am not the biggest fan though, but still, I love watching it. All those pre - conceived drama, all those badly delivered lines and dialogues, all those choreographed moves, I love them all. But recently, something happened to one of WWE's more popular wrestlers that has dwarfed and eclipsed all those drama. It is so shocking that not even Vince Macmahon's wildest imaginings can conceive such a tragedy.

Y'all probably know what happened, Chris Benoit was found hanging from his gym ceiling in his Atlanta home. And as if that wasn't enough, his wife and seven -year - old son were also found dead, allegedly murdered by Benoit himself before taking his own life. It's all over the internet, all over the news and even on the local papers. A lot of people have discussed the tragedy at length and experts have rendered their opinions on the matter and I don't wanna add to that co'z I have no idea what really transpired on that fateful weekend. I am not a Benoit fan (although I named one of my cats after him), so this is not a tribute either.

This blogpost of mine is more of a series of questions. What would drive a man to kill his own wife and son and then himself? Is it the steroids? Is it all those prescription drugs? What made him snap? I probably will never know. All I know is that this is one of those senseless waste of lives that we see everyday. It has become so common that most of us have become desensitized to it. This sort of ugliness doesn't bother us anymore. Suicide, and murder for that matter, have become so fashionable especially if committed by celebrities and well - known personalities.

Just what was he thinking? Was he sad? Was he hating the life that he has? A life that a lot of us would kill to have? Did he feel empty? Maybe he did. Now a song is playing in my mind. Remember "All Apologies" by Nirvana? Maybe what he was feeling can be summed up in the song's line which was aptly sung by Kurt Cobain who also took his own life, "All in all is all we are...."

1 comment:

Rachie-Babe said...

I admit, I liked watching WWE too. ;-)

Template Design | Elque 2007