Tuesday, July 3, 2007

English Spokening

My cousin, Kuya Rudi, briefly mentioned in his column in one of our local newspapers something about reading a sign written on the wall of one the elementary schools here in Tarlac City. The sign actually says, "This is an English Speaking School". Okaaayyy.... So? Is that reflective of the quality of education in that school, or in our country's public schools for that matter? Is the use of the English language as a medium of instruction in our schools an indication that our educational system is working and is going in the right direction? Well, maybe we should ask the President who, on May 2003, issued an Executive Order “Establishing the Policy to Strengthen English as a Second Language in the Educational System”. The salient points of the EO are the following:

* English should be taught as a second language at all levels of the educational system, starting with the First Grade;
* English should be used as the medium of instruction for English, Math and Science from at least the third Grade level;
* The English language shall be used as a primary medium of instruction in all public institutions of learning at the secondary level.”

Okay, so learning to speak English well is a big deal in our society that even our leaders are promoting its use while our own Tagalog/Filipino is only given that much importance during the observance of the "Linggo ng Wika". I think it's the "Buwan ng Wika" now. They've added three more weeks just to show that we are not entirely disregarding our own National Language. We may be ashamed to admit it but to most of us Filipinos, being able to speak (and write) good English is a gauge of one's educational background and position in the social stratum. One who speaks English well is "sosi". I myself am a product of our country's preference of the usage of the English language as against the use of Tagalog/Filipino. I was sent to schools that charged a student P1.00 for every word spoken in Tagalog or in any local dialect. During recitations, we were encouraged (but I think forced was more like it) to speak in straight English. Except during Filipino class, of course and that was the only time we were allowed to speak in Tagalog while in school. College was a different matter as I went to a university that encourages one to express himself in whatever language and manner he pleases but still, during that time, I find myself speaking more English in class. I didn't even have a Filipino subject in college. In school, I wasn't taught to love my own language. I wasn't encouraged to use my own language. As a result, I can express myself better in English. I even "think" in English. Not that I'm complaining, I've made good use of my knowledge of the English language and I've found it useful on numerous occasions. It opened a lot of doors for me. But I just wish I was taught to love my own language more, to take pride in its use and to use it more often.

No comments:

Template Design | Elque 2007